This stonemason's once stood on Waterbeach Road, but was replaced by houses (numbers 18 and 20) some time in the 2000s.

[map]

Until about 2004 the building on Ely Road, Landbeach between Car Dyke Road and Cambridge Road was The Slap Up pub. It had been there since 1864 or earlier, according to Kelly's Directory (quoted on British History Online). The gravel pits on the other side of the Ely Road, north of Waterbeach Road, are also known as the Slap Up Pits.

The pub later became an Indian restaurant, the Slap Up Tandoori, and after another change of ownership in December 2010 the Bollywood Spice.

Post code CB25 9NN


Post Code: CB25 9FA [map]

History

In the Middle Ages this road was an unnamed path or 'balke' across fields. In the Dukman Book of 1727 it was recorded as Flood Lane. It crossed the old north-south waterway called the Beach Lode at Cockis Bridge. (Source: Ravensdale, Liable to Floods)

Post Code: CB25 9FF [map]

History

The western section of this road was formerly called Claystrate, and was one of several routes running north-south from the Manor of Brays to the fens. (Source: Ravensdale, Liable to Floods)


Post Code: CB25 9GD [map]

Ravensdale is named in honour of John Richard ('Jack') Ravensdale (27 November 1920 - 25 September 1994), an historian who lived in Landbeach and published several books on its history. In 1972 he was a lecturer at Homerton College (source: Cambridge News).

Some of his works are listed in the Bibliography.

Post Code: CB25 9FB [map]

Matthew Parker (1504-1575) was rector of Landbeach from 1545 to 1554, and became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1559.

The close was built in the late 1960s (outline permission for a site called "Banworth" was granted in 1956, and final approval was given in 1966).

[map]

Landbeach Road runs from the northern end of Milton High Street to the southern end of Landbeach High Street, and is bisected by the A10.




Post Codes:

  • CB25 9FT (16-116 even, Baptist Chapel) [map]
  • CB25 9FU (118-146 even) [map]
  • CB25 9FR (1-87 odd) [map]


Post Code: CB25 9FD [map]

History

In the fourteenth century, the street running south from All Saints' Church, including the southern part of what is now Green End and the northern part of what is now High Street, was called "Church Way from the South". To the northwest of the church was a tenement belonging to the Manor of Chamberlains and let to the Osbern family. After the death of William Osbern's godson John Sweyn in 1439, the field became a second village green, originally known as College Green, and later as The Green. The Green remained until the parliamentary enclosure of 1850, when it was absorbed into the front gardens of the surrounding houses.

The former division of the parish into Green End (north of the church) and Land End (south) is recorded in a document of 1639, A Rate of the Houses for the clark's wages. [Clay 1861]

Green End is now the name of the road between the village crossroads and the A10 to the north. The section south of the church was called High Street in planning documents as late as 1987 (e.g. S/0357/87/F).


Post Codes:

  • CB25 9FH (Cardyke Farm) [map]
  • CB25 9NW (Landbeach Lakes to Penfold Farm) [map]
  • CB25 9NL (Cosy Nook Caravan Park) [map]

From "A Pocket History":

Landbeach parish is cut from north to south by three roads; the medieval King's Highway which is our present High Street and Green End; the Mere Way (now called Akeman Street in part) along which the Roman legions marched north from Cambridge; and the A10, the main road from Cambridge to Ely, which was modernised in 1763 by an Act granted for "Repairing, Turning and Keeping in repair the road from Cambridge to Ely, and thence to Soham". It was once an old field path, being "in some parts narrow and incommodious, and in others annoyed by water for the want of bridges". Robert Masters, who was Rector of Landbeach at that time, led an attack on this modernisation and improvement scheme. He and many of his parishioners would have preferred the road through Landbeach to have been improved instead, "particularly, that they, being utterly unable to receive any private benefit or advantage, as a parish, from the new road, were yet required ... to do statute work thereon for a certain number of days". Thus, it is no thanks to Robert Masters that, even now, Landbeach is a comparative haven of peace with traffic thundering down the A10 some half mile away rather than through the village.

Page 1 of 3

The village of Landbeach lies to the north of Cambridge, between the city and the fens.

crossroads-se-corner-320px.jpg

Upcoming events