The road between Landbeach and Cottenham. About half way (probably at the intersection with the farm track called Hay Lane) it changes its name to Beach Road. See [map].


Post Code: CB25 9FG [map]

Cockfens Close was a farmstead that changed its name from Fens Close after the Black Death of 1348-9. The name Cock Fen Lane is recorded from 1727, if not earlier.

Source: Ravensdale, Liable to Floods

Post Code: CB25 9FZ [map]

Beche was a local name for the two villages of Landbeach and Waterbeach, and was used in the Domesday Book of 1067. (Source: Ravensdale, Liable to Floods)

Beche way was an old name (later the Millway) for the unmade road from Kings Hedges to the southern end of Akeman Street. (Source: Clay, A History of the Parish of Landbeach...)


Post Code: CB25 9FS [map]

This lane is named after an ancient field, Banworth Field, that once occupied a large area to the east of the High Street.  It appears in the records as Banewurthfeld (1316), Banwurth (1317), Banworth (1354) and Banneworthfeld (1384). (Source: Ravensdale, Liable to Floods.)

Post code: CB25 9FQ [map]

History

This street follows the path of the Mere Way, a Roman road from Cambridge to Ely. In 1854, after the parliamentary enclosure, the Worts' Trustees planned to make the road passable for carriages between Butt Lane and Landbeach, but only enough money was raised to improve the stretch southwards from Cockfen Lane to the farmhouses.

In 1861, according to Clay, the part of the street from Kings Hedges to Cockfen Lane was called Millway, but had earlier been called Beche way.

References

William Keating Clay, A History of the Parish of Landbeach, Cambridge, 1861


Village sign from south Village sign from north

Above (left to right): south and north faces of village sign.

"This was erected in 1978 to commemorate the Jubilee of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. The design is a composite of the three winning entries in the Sign Design Competition. It was carved and painted by two local men, Mr. Maurice Lynn and Mr. Ted Gazeley, and was funded by the Jubilee Committee's fund-raising activities.

"Stand facing the church and you will see the scene in front of you reflected in the carving on the sign, the church and the thatched cottage bisected by the tree, that is the scene today. On the reverse side are pictured some of the historical connections of the village. The striking central feature of the bishop's mitre represents Matthew Parker, the most famous of our rectors, who became the first Archbishop of Canterbury in 1558 during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. The mitre theme is repeated in the wrought iron surround.

The coat of arms between the church and the barn is that of Corpus Christi College who, as Lords of the Manor of Chamberlains, owned the living and still retain strong links with the village. The other arms are copied from the medieval stained glass in the window over the Easter Sepulchre in the church and are thought to be those of the Bray and Chamberlain families from the manors to the east and the west of the church. The tithe barn indicates the link between the farming community and the church. The three sheep represent the flocks that were brought to graze on the higher pastures here when Waterbeach was flooded in the winter. It is quite likely that the earlier settlements here were made up of the herdsmen who stayed first over winter and then settled permanently. The sign was unveiled on 23rd April 1978 by the two oldest and the two youngest inhabitants of the village."

Reproduced from Historical Landbeach with the permission of the author.

Click one of the destinations on the left to zoom in on the map.

Print

Sorry. This page no longer works as intended because in 11 June 2018 Google decided to require my credit card number to enable continued use of Google Maps. They're not having it.

Page 2 of 3

The village of Landbeach lies to the north of Cambridge, between the city and the fens.

worts-meadow-northeast.jpg

Upcoming events