Post code: CB25 9FQ [map]

History

This street follows the path of the Mere Way, a Roman road from Cambridge to Ely. In 1854, after the parliamentary enclosure, the Worts' Trustees planned to make the road passable for carriages between Butt Lane and Landbeach, but only enough money was raised to improve the stretch southwards from Cockfen Lane to the farmhouses.

In 1861, according to Clay, the part of the street from Kings Hedges to Cockfen Lane was called Millway, but had earlier been called Beche way.

References

William Keating Clay, A History of the Parish of Landbeach, Cambridge, 1861