Post Code: CB25 9FD [map]
In the fourteenth century, the street running south from All Saints' Church, including the southern part of what is now Green End and the northern part of what is now High Street, was called "Church Way from the South". To the northwest of the church was a tenement belonging to the Manor of Chamberlains and let to the Osbern family. After the death of William Osbern's godson John Sweyn in 1439, the field became a second village green, originally known as College Green, and later as The Green. The Green remained until the parliamentary enclosure of 1850, when it was absorbed into the front gardens of the surrounding houses.
The former division of the parish into Green End (north of the church) and Land End (south) is recorded in a document of 1639, A Rate of the Houses for the clark's wages. [Clay 1861]
Green End is now the name of the road between the village crossroads and the A10 to the north. The section south of the church was called High Street in planning documents as late as 1987 (e.g. S/0357/87/F).