35 High Street [map]

"The middle range of this house is late medieval and was originally an open hall to the roof. The ceiling and floor which make the large bedroom above were added at the same time as the fireplaces. The wing on the north end was built somewhere around 1600, and the kitchen wing in the south in the 18th century. The local legend is that two elderly ladies running away from London during the Great Plague of 1665/6 settled in this house, but fell sick and died, passing the Plague on to the Rector, Wiliam Rawley, and his family, the only people to go near them.

It is certainly true that the Rector's son, and probably his wife and servants, died in the plague year, and the grieving Rector (his handwriting in the parish registers becomes shakier and shakier) died a year later. There is no trace of the two elderly ladies in the records.

For many years until 1943 this was the Post Office. A small match-boarded lean-to, on the northern end next to the street, housed the first public telephone."

Reproduced, with permission, from Historical Landbeach.