"Landbeach, in the hundred of North-Stow and deanery of Chesterton, lies about five miles north of Cambridge. The manor of Chamberleynes, in this parish, belonged anciently to the family of De Beche; in the year 1359 it was purchased, by the master and fellows of Bene't college, of Sir Thomas Chamberlayne, whose grandfather, Sir Walter, bought it of Helen de Beche1. The site of the manor-house of Chamberleynes, surrounded by a moat, with considerable traces of buildings, is in a close to the east of the church. The manor of Bray's belonged to the family of Bray, during the thirteenth and the early part of the fourteenth century2; it was afterwards, for more than a century, in the family of Keteriche3: Robert Kirkby died feifed of it in 1567, leaving no male issue4: it is now vested in trustees acting under the will of William Worts, Esq., who in the year 1709 bequeathed this estate for charitable uses5.
In the parish church is the gravestone of William Rawley, S. T. P., who died in 1667: he was chaplain to Lord Chancellor Bacon, and published his life and works. On the outside of the church, is a monument for the late rector, Robert Masters, B. D., F. S. A., author of the history of Corpus Christi (or Bene't) College, who, after an incumbency of 41 years, died in 1798, at the age of 84.
The master and follows of Bene't College are patrons of the Rectory: the rectory-house has the appearance of great antiquity; the cellars are vaulted with stone, and have groined arches: the arms of Bishop Lisle, who was promoted to the see in 1345, are on one of the walls. An act of parliament for inclosing this parish passed in 1807, when an allotment of land was given to the rector in lieu of tythes.
William Gonel, the friend of Erasmus, was a native of Landbeach; his descendant, Matthew Gonel, the last of the family, died there in 17936.
1. Masters's History of Corpus Christi.
2. Layer's MSS.
3. Ibid. and Esch. 19 Edw. IV.
4. Cole's Escheats.
5. [from p.156] Wm. Worts, Esq., one of the Esquire-bedels, by his will of that date [sc. 1709], bequeathed all his estates in trust, charged with an annuity of 30 l. to the charity-schools so long as they should endure, and be kept up in any reputation: the residue of the rents to accumulate, first for the purpose of raising the sum of 1500 l. to build galleries in St. Mary's Church, as before mentioned; afterwards a farther sum 1500 l. to make a causey towards Gogmagog hills; after the accomplishment of these objects, which had taken place before the year 1767, the estates were to be charged with two annuities of 20 l. per annum each, for the purpose of keeping the galleries and causey in repair; out of the residue of the estates, the sum of 100 l. per annum each was to be given to two bachelors of arts, who should travel into foreign countries during the space of three years; to take different roads, and each of them to write a Latin letter once a month to the vice-chancellor of the university, who should communicate them to the regent-house, and have them fairly written, to be deposited among the MSS. in the public library; the letters to contain an account of the religion, learning, laws, politics, customs, manners, and rarities, natural and artificial, which they should find worthy of observation in the countries through which they should pass; these travelling fellows to be chosen every three years, and never to be both of the same college; the residue of the profits of his estates are bequeathed for the support and augmentation of the university library.
6. From the information of the Rev. Mr. Burroughes, the present rector."
The above is from Magna Britannia; Being a Concise Topographical Account of the Several Counties of Great Britain. Containing Cambridgeshire, and the County Palatine of Chester, Volume 2, by Daniel Lysons, published in London by Cadell, 1810, accessed on Google Books 2015-06-06