Post Codes:

  • CB25 9FH (Cardyke Farm) [map]
  • CB25 9NW (Landbeach Lakes to Penfold Farm) [map]
  • CB25 9NL (Cosy Nook Caravan Park) [map]

From "A Pocket History":

Landbeach parish is cut from north to south by three roads; the medieval King's Highway which is our present High Street and Green End; the Mere Way (now called Akeman Street in part) along which the Roman legions marched north from Cambridge; and the A10, the main road from Cambridge to Ely, which was modernised in 1763 by an Act granted for "Repairing, Turning and Keeping in repair the road from Cambridge to Ely, and thence to Soham". It was once an old field path, being "in some parts narrow and incommodious, and in others annoyed by water for the want of bridges". Robert Masters, who was Rector of Landbeach at that time, led an attack on this modernisation and improvement scheme. He and many of his parishioners would have preferred the road through Landbeach to have been improved instead, "particularly, that they, being utterly unable to receive any private benefit or advantage, as a parish, from the new road, were yet required ... to do statute work thereon for a certain number of days". Thus, it is no thanks to Robert Masters that, even now, Landbeach is a comparative haven of peace with traffic thundering down the A10 some half mile away rather than through the village.